Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I thought I'd keep track

So, I'm telling you. You need to enter your kids in every coloring contest you can find. Zachary and Samantha won a collage contest last night. They each got $20 gift cards, and then Samantha won from a drawing at the awards presentation a night at a Marriott Hotel. We will have to save it for Prom night--you should of gasped with disbelief when you read that. This contest was for Fair Housing month....of course, what else would we be celebrating this month???? These contests are great. The kids win almost every time. I would love to say it is because of their fabulous talent. However I'm thinking it is more because the odds are in their favor. Less entries, more prizes!

3 comments:

Lacey said...

Cool! You're kids must be talented! Too bad I can't enter my husband in the coloring contests. He is a good "draw-er." ha ha.

Crystal said...

Ok, you've talked me into it. But how in the world do you find out about such contests??

Andrea said...

As soon as you start looking for them, you will find plenty. But here, most fairs and/or festivals seem to have the contests. I keep a list, so that I can look for them yearly. Also read the newspaper, a lot of time they are listed there. Also, google your city and coloring contests. Your little guy may need to wait a few years, and you have to have willing children. We passed on one last week, becuase my kids were just not in the mood. I was bummed, but I got over it. I won a coloring contest when I was about 8, I won paper dolls and a giant chocolate bar. I never forgot it. I am so excited when the kids win, they are less so. Maybe becuase they haven't lost enough? We need to work on humility. But usually the contests teach them something. Like Fair Housing. Or the one we did this week was water conservation. So we talked about all the ways they could conserve, and Samantha drew something about only watering your lawn at 6am or 6pm to avoid evaporation. So it's all good.